The cover letter example below is that of a sales manager with over 10 years of experience working in sales, as a representative and a team leader. The cover letter starts by asking a question and the subsequent paragraphs aim at answering that question. Specifically, the second paragraph includes 4 bullets addressing key aspects of the candidate's key qualifications and accomplishments, including his experience, his knowledge of training techniques, his passion about improving customer experience, and his track record at regularly exceeding sales goals. This cover letter was written in a dynamic and engaging tone; what an employer would typically expect of a salesperson.
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪
(Contact Job Title)
(City, State, Zip)
Dear Mr./Mrs./Ms. (Last Name):
Does your sales team generate the sales volume and the gross profit that you demand in an economy in which cutbacks lead to lower purchasing rates and near-impossible conversion to new suppliers?
If you're not satisfied with your sales team's performance, I can bring skills and techniques that have helped companies like yours increase their sales volume:
- More than 10 years' experience in sales, as a representative and team leader.
- Expert sales management with training techniques that will change the way your organization thinks about sales, revenue, growth, and customer service.
- Passionate about improving the customer's experience so that they want you to be their primary vendor.
- As a sales representative for Mechanized Solutions, I regularly exceeded company sales goals by 20% or more and maintained gross profit levels at 35%-40%.
I improve sales teams' processes and output every day in my work at Sales Results Training--in one case I helped a client increase sales volume by 600%. I will add similar value to your company with proven sales management skills and personal field representative experience in which I routinely won company and product line awards for sales volume and gross margin.
If your company is looking for a results-oriented sales manager with a solid performance track, I would be interested in speaking with you to discuss the value that my strengths and experience can bring to your company. I can be reached in confidence at the above telephone number or email address. I look forward to hearing from you.
With best regards,
Great Resumes Fast is a professional resume writing and interview coaching firm that assists job seekers at every level secure interviews and job offers. They create dynamic, best-in-class resumes and cover letters that consistently deliver results. Great Resumes Fast also offers writers with specialization in Federal Resume Writing, Executive Level and C-Suite, Information Technology, Sales and Management.
We recommend these resources if you want to improve your resume and/or cover letter further:
MORE RESUME AND COVER LETTER EXAMPLES
Sample resume for a sales manager
Does your resume effectively sell your track record in sales? This resume sample for a midlevel sales manager will show you how it can.
Use these tips to write your sales manager resume.
Does your resume effectively sell your qualifications? As a sales manager, your resume needs to convey your track record of sales results, says resume expert Kim Isaacs. To see how, view this resume sample for a midlevel sales manager that Isaacs created below, and download the sales manager resume template.
If you need additional writing tips, join Monster today, so the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service can help you impress employers with a high-impact resume and cover letter for jobs in sales management.
Sales Manager resume template
Top-ranked sales manager recognized for contributions to record-setting sales figures, territory expansion and new account development. Proven ability to lead sales teams to achieve multimillion-dollar revenue gains. Offer an in-depth understanding of the sales cycle process and remain focused on customer satisfaction throughout all stages. Experienced, “fearless” cold-caller and expert presenter, negotiator and closer.
ABC COMPANY – Sometown, RI
Sales Manager, 1/2014 to Present
Recruited to lead startup of Northeast sales region and manage a 12-member team within $8.2 million, 12-state territory. Grow market share by increasing gasket product-line sales to warehouse distributers and retail stores.
Impact & Results:
- Increased territory sales from less than $4 million to $8.2 million within two years, exceeding quota by 12% in 2011 and 15% in 2010.
- Ranked as #1 sales manager (out of 12) in 2011 and 2010.
- Fostered a robust, sustainable network of buyers from Maine to Florida, leveraging strong listening, presentation and closing skills to optimize sales results despite previously dominant competitor advantage.
- Introduced new gasket lines into the market, often closing sight-unseen sales of newly released products.
- Demonstrated an unwavering commitment to customer service, adding new customers while maintaining premium service levels with existing accounts.
DEF COMPANY – Sometown, RI
Sales Manager, 2/2010 to 1/2014
Sales Associate, 6/2009 to 2/2010
Managed daily operations of automotive service department generating $12.5 million annually. Provided floor sales leadership and supervised eight associates. Rapidly promoted from initial sales associate position.
Impact & Results:
- Surpassed sales goals by 19% in 2009 and 14% in 2008.
- Recognized for superior performance as a two-time district “Employee of the Month” honoree.
- Increased sales of company-owned paint sealants by 24%, selling $245K in sealant products in 2009.
ABC University – Sometown, RI
Bachelor of Science in Business Management, 5/2009
- Sales Team Supervision
- Territory Management
- New Account Development
- Relationship Building
- Complex Negotiations
- Presentations & Proposals
- Closing Strategies
- Sales Training
- Lead Qualification