If you have a look at the title of this article you will see that some letters are capitalized and some are not. Although the capitalization of titles can sometimes depend on the particular style of a writer, institution or publication, there are some general rules to keep in mind.
The rules for capitalizing titles not only of articles, but also books, papers, speeches, etc, can vary according to a particular style guide, such as Associated Press Stylebook (AP), Chicago Manual of Style, and MLA style. This is known as title case. While you will find similarities between each guide, it's important to pay attention to their differences.
Style guide similarities:
- In all three styles, always capitalize the first and last word of any title.
- How to Land Your Dream Job
- In all three styles, capitalize nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs.
- Visiting Beautiful Ruins (noun)
- As She Ran Away (pronoun)
- The Importance of Learning Fast (verb)
- The Poky Little Puppy (adjective)
- She Quietly Waits (adverb)
- In all three styles, do not capitalize articles, prepositions, or coordinating conjunctions.
- To Catch a Thief (article)
- One Year in Paris (preposition)
- Magic and Daybreak (coordinating conjunction)
Style guide differences:
- In the AP Stylebook, all words with three letters or less are lowercased. However, if any of those words are verbs (is, are, was, be), they are to be capitalized.
- In the Chicago Manual of Style, all prepositions are lowercased, even the lengthier ones (between, among, throughout).
- In MLA style, words with three letters or less are always lowercased.
So, which one should you choose? Well, it all depends if a certain style is required by your teacher, course, or subject/field. For example, MLA style is commonly used in the liberal arts or humanities. AP style is popularly used in journalism, Chicago is often used in business. A suggestion is to choose one style, or check to see what style is required by your teacher or editor, and stick to it.
The General Rules for Title Case
As we can see, there are some exceptions to the general rules for title case set forth by each style guide, but they mostly follow a similar pattern. We know to capitalize the first, last, and important words in a title. Important words include nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, and more. So, generally, these parts of speech are capitalized in titles:
- Nouns – man, bus, book
- Adjectives – angry, lovely, small
- Verbs – run, eat, sleep
- Adverbs – slowly, quickly, quietly
- Pronouns – he, she, it
- Subordinating conjunctions – as, because, that
“Short" words, those with less than five letters, are lowercase in titles, unless they are the first or last words. Generally, we do not capitalize:
- Articles – a, an, the
- Coordinating Conjunctions (fewer than five letters) – and, but, or, for, nor, etc.
- Prepositions (fewer than five letters) – on, at, to, from, by, etc.
When in doubt and you do not have a reference guide in front of you, here is one general rule recommended by The U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual:
"Capitalize all words in titles of publications and documents, except a, an, the, at, by, for, in, of, on, to, up, and, as, but, or, and nor."
What About Sentence Case?
Now that we know some of the ins and outs of title case, let's take a look at sentence case. In sentence case, the title is written as if it is a sentence. This is considered a more casual style and is commonly used in newspapers and on the web.
Only the first word has a capital letter:
- Budget wedding invitations
- Best technology blogs
However, proper nouns within the title are also capitalized:
- Top 10 things to do in Paris
- Hiking at the Grand Canyon
Whether you're writing in title case or sentence case, every style guide is just a little bit different. You might discover that some publications are moving toward sentence case. There are a couple reasons why writers choose this over title case.
First, one could argue that capitalized words slow down a reader's ability to scan. A title written in sentence case could be perceived as having an uninterrupted flow. Next, some publications prefer this style simply because it's more likely to preserve consistency. With sentence case, there's no nitpicking over the capitalization of a three-letter preposition.
You might notice an overall trend toward this style. Many heavy hitters in the publishing industry use sentence case, including The Boston Globe, LA Times, and USA Today. However, if you pick up a copy of The New York Times, you'll see they stick with Title Case.
Advanced Rules to Note
One of the beautiful complexities of the English language is that, for every rule you learn, there's probably an exception. Here are some advanced rules for title capitalization:
Let's take a look at the Chicago Manual of Style's guidelines:
- Capitalize the first element.
- Capitalize subsequent elements unless they are articles, prepositions, or coordinating conjunctions (and, but, for, or, nor).
- High-Quality Web Services
- First-Rate U.S. Lawyers
- Bed-and-Breakfast Options in Savannah
- Capitalize the second element in a hyphenated spelled-out number.
- Do not capitalize the second element if the first element is a prefix that could not stand alone by itself (anti or pre).
- Anti-inflammatory Dieting
An open compound comes to life when a modifying adjective is used in conjunction with a noun. This creates a new noun. Hopefully warning bells will signal in your mind, as nouns are almost always capitalized.
- Salad Dressing Recipes
- The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year
The First Word Following a Colon
Let's take a look at both the Chicago and AP Style guidelines:
- Capitalize the first word after a colon.
- Feminine Poetry: Ten Women Writers from Around the World
- Capitalize the first word after a colon if it begins an independent clause.
- I know who you are: You are my friend
- Do not capitalize the first word after a colon if the clause cannot stand alone.
- I know who you are: nobody
Prepositions That Belong to a Phrasal Verb
Prepositions often find themselves on the 'do not capitalize' list. However, when a preposition becomes an important part of a phrasal verb, it does need to be capitalized.
- How to Back Up a Computer
- Turn Down the Heat to Save You Money
Following the Rules
If you are debating how to capitalize titles in research papers and articles, your professor or editor will most likely delegate a certain style. In that case, make sure you visit the handbook on that style guide's website. There will be ample guidance and examples. Aside from that, there are a wealth of other resources and handy tools out there. As you craft your titles, pay careful attention not only to the type of word, but also the length and placement of each word.
Furthermore, no matter your personal preference, make sure you write the exact titles of books, newspapers, journals, etc. as they are written on the original document (even if they do not follow common capitalization rules).
Post a comment.comments powered by
Rules for Capitalization in Titles of Articles
By YourDictionaryIf you have a look at the title of this article you will see that some letters are capitalized and some are not. Although the capitalization of titles can sometimes depend on the particular style of a writer, institution or publication, there are some general rules to keep in mind.
A Successful Research Paper: What Are the Significances?
Writing a thesis or research paper is the troublesome and time-taking process. You can’t claim of writing a defensive paper within a month. Sometimes, it takes six months or a year to be completed. The major importance of a research paper is to deliver the precise results and useful solution of the problem. The research papers are used to study about different unique topics for discussing the solutions of their various problems. The successful research study can be used for many years by other authors for referencing. According to Explorable.com, you can become a popular author by writing a good research paper without any doubt. The success of a research study brings many opportunities for the authors. They can be chosen for conducting more researchers for even large firms.
This Is How You Can Review a Thesis Draft – The Role of Plagiarism Checker Research Paper
There are many ways of reviewing and checking the research study after conducting it. Have a look at these points to leave no stone unturned for reviewing the final draft.
- First of all, start reading the text slowly and pay attention to every word.
- Mark all the major and minor mistakes so that you find it convenient of rectifying the errors.
- In the end, it is better to read the whole draft again and correct the mistakes instead of doing it in the beginning.
- After the manual review and correction, you can also use plagiarism checker research paper online or a sentence type checker for more help.
Research Study’s Structure: Online Research Paper Checker
Any kind of research paper has a certain structure that is based on few titles. These headings play an important role in order to conduct an error-free and useful study. There is a list of few titles included in the structure of a research paper. Writing about all of these titles is important and it’s impossible to skip any of these parts of the structure.
- The first part is to write an abstract of the study. This is based on the crux of what is going to be discussed in the paper.
- The next stage is of introduction that requires proper information about the topic from its origin to the present scenarios.
- The third process is based on the method used to conduct the research and finding results.
- In the fourth stage, the process is about to find results.
- The other step is based on discussion.
- Then, the turn of conclusion comes in which you’re supposed to discuss the solution of the problem.
- The last step is about making a reference list to share the sources that have been used in gathering data and taking more ideas.
Don’t forget to use online research paper checker in the end to find all major and minor errors from the paper.
Image credit: hengdeedu.com
Image credit: amavv.com
Never Make Such Mistakes
- Don’t use the internet checkers first. It is suggested to use an online software but after the manual checking.
- Write the each line based on meaningful content. The use of filler sentences can have negative effects on your paper.
- Never try to gather data by studying too old conducted studies.
The Editing and Proofreading of Paper – Go for a Trusted Research Paper Editor Software
You can edit the paper in a variety of ways. There are numerous useful tips that can help you in editing the draft properly.
- Never take any part lightly and read the whole draft from beginning to the end.
- Figuring out grammatical mistakes isn’t enough. You also need to read each sentence to cheek whether it is meaningful or not.
- Discuss the relatable terms and topics.
- Use a research paper editor software from the reliable source.
The Professional Research Experts Suggest This to All
A famous quote by Charles Kettering is worth reading for everyone:
If I want to stop a research program I can always do it by getting a few experts to sit in on the subject, because they know right away that it was a fool thing to try in the first place.
Famous research Burt Rutan says:
I believe that research, that you can claim that you are doing research only if half of the people, and I’m talking about half of the experts, believe that the goal is impossible.
We Offer a Valuable Research Paper Fixer
The research paper fixer developed by our team is worth using from many aspects. First of all, you simply need to paste the text and click on submit icon or option. This highly useful tool has all the best features to turn your paper (full of errors) into the fully corrected draft. Our team hasn’t leave any stone unturned to develop the plagiarism and grammar checking online tool. You don’t even need to pay a certain fee for using our tool. In short, the commendable results by our program are guaranteed better than any paid tool.
The best research papers are not written easily even if you’re an expert author. This is the reason that inclines us towards manual editing. It is a time-consuming process that creates lots of trouble for you. The suggested way is to go for the credible online source of checking the paper. The good checking tools of research studies online are not hard to find anymore. The use of a trusted tool can resolve your problem and effort of many hours this is what every researcher should consider to review and check their studies properly. Once you use any top-rated and result-oriented dissertation plagiarism checker, you can save a lot of time and effort of checking the paper manually.